Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Profanity

I was doing my devotions today, and have been reading in Hebrews chapter 12 and I was convicted of being 'profane'! 

No, I do not litter my speech with profane words- but, I was struck by how actions I take, and words I may say can still be profane.  The word profane comes from two Latin words:  pro- meaning either 'before' or 'against';  and fanum- meaning 'temple'.  Together, basically being 'against temple/ against God'. 

Hebrews 12:15-16

New King James Version (NKJV)
15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; 16 lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.

Just a couple days ago, I heard about one of our youth at church was being mistreated by other youth from our church.  This particular youth had stepped back from church, and Christianity- and the mistreatment by those from his own church was not producing conviction which leads to repentance and salvation-

but conviction that Christians are no different than the rest of the world; in fact, it seems the mistreatment from others who profess to be a Christian hit, and wound,  even more deeply.  And for those looking for an excuse for rebellion (consciously or unconsciously)- these profane acts become further personal justification for the youth's self-righteousness and rebellion. 

When I heard the mother recounting the episode to me, I was deeply grieved for this youth and his parents- and, grieved that others in our youth group would do, or say, wounding things~ 

Then, yesterday, as I read verse 15, I was mindful, and then prayerful, about areas in my own heart in which the root of bitterness has sprung...then I read on into verse 16.."lest there be any fornicator, or profane person"..  (In context- the verse is speaking of spiritual fornication- in which one turns from their 'first love' of God, and replaces that place which only God is deserving, with things of the flesh)

Whenever I allow my will, my flesh, to act out- 'against God'  I am being profane.  Sure, so maybe I don't speak out in a tirade of foul words- but my 'quick whit' can certainly hit a target when twisted as sarcasm or teasing.  Or, perhaps it is when I make a promise, only to put it out of my mind...or, simply say yes with my tongue, but know I won't do it in my heart....or, cancel out if something 'better' comes along...

Profane.

So what does this have to do with Lyme?  For me- daily living with an illness, and doing all my treatment protocols....well, I have plenty of times where I just feel angry (maybe it comes out in a burst, maybe it comes out as depression).... And bitterness has good soil to spring up~

Perhaps it is when I am listening to someone go on-and-on about how hard it was to find just the right out-fit to go out on the town...how hard it was to find a new purse and matching shoes... being too busy to go in to get a manicure...how expensive it was to do all the decorating.....  While my big day was getting out of bed and doing a little housework, and the medical bills are mounting- there is no room for 'fun' purchases...And bitterness has good soil in which to spring up~

Thankfully- the LORD provide the 'cure' or protection against a root of bitterness...becoming a spiritual fornicator...or being profane-- it is at the very beginning of verse 15:   The GRACE of God! 

"Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God"

Yes indeed- I must be diligent- so that I will not fall short of God's grace!

And, how do I 'get' this grace-  It only comes by spending time with the LORD in prayer, His Word, and by practicing His principles (diligently).   Not to pray, 'Dear Lord, please give me more grace!;-  but grace comes more-and-more, the more-and-more I KNOW Him...  The more I know Him and His grace- the more it will become a part of who I am...

Oh LORD-  according to Your great lovingkindness and mercy-  teach me about Your grace.  Remove the roots of bitterness that have taken hold in my heart- and replace them with Your attributes: grace, love, mercy...  Guard my heart-- Holy Spirit- filter what I allow into my heart, and what I allow to escape my heart to my tongue-- show me where there may be profanity, take this areas and cleanse me- reform and renew me...encourage my heart to me diligent that I may not profane your Holy Name.... 

Blessings-
cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment