1. We can't eat like you. (We aren't being picky. Some food could actually kill us, anaphylactic shock reaction, or at the least- make us sick for days.)
2. We would LOVE to eat like you.
3. We still want to be a part of the celebration.
4. Much of our celebrations revolve around food.
5. Find out what we CAN eat (usually a short list).
6. Have at least one dish prepared and set out for us on the table with the 'regular' food items (more than one if you can, of course- we may be in 'happy shock' about your doing that for us, so be prepared).
7. Don't point out our 'special dish' to the other guests (only to us so we know it is a 'safe food' for us).
8. Bring the dish to us, if we can't get out that day, and eat it with us (yes, eat the same food we are eating, along with us- like it is 'normal food').
9. Realize, depending on where we are at in our Lyme journey, we may be in grief. So if we aren't as celebratory as you'd think we would be (after all, we didn't have to stay in bed this day and got to be a part of the celebrating)...keep in mind, we are dealing with a multitude of losses due to Lyme. And, as with other kinds of grief, the grief waves can hit us out of nowhere- and being with a group of people eating all kinds of tempting vittles can be difficult and overwhelming. Just let us know: you understand, you don't know how we do it, you think we are strong, you are glad you are with us, cry a few tears with us, give us a hug, show us the dish we CAN eat :)
10. Even if we have to turn down an invitation- let us know you understand, that we will be missed; send something home to us. And, say you will invite us again- and DO.
To those who Believe, someday- we will dine at the great banquet, without restraint or restriction :)
Revelation 19:17 New Living Translation (NLT)
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, shouting to the vultures flying high in the sky: “Come! Gather together for the great banquet God has prepared.