Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cynthia's Sweet & Salty Crunchy Munch

In our area, today is Deer Hunting Opener!  It is almost a holiday.  There are many traditions to Deer Opener: travel, special traditional/necessary clothing (like blaze orange everything), vehicles, equipment, housing (hunting shacks), cook outs, and of course- special treats! 

Seeing my family with all their special treats was somehow extra tough this year-  So, I baked up my own snack today, as I haven't made it for awhile.

Perhaps you'd like to try it as well for over these 'munchy holidays'. 

Now, I'm not a great recipe writer- and I bake, and cook, mainly operating under my grandmother's tutelage mantra, "Just add enough til your stomach shakes!" approach.  So, I am going to show you the recipe in pictures...  maybe instead of a recipe- you can think of it as a snack guideline! 

Start with a jelly-roll pan, with low sides, like this (note, I do not have fancy kitchenware for this recipe):
(You may also notice, I didn't clean up my kitchen before you came.) 

Pre-heat your oven to 375F
 
 



Into the pan, spread about a single layer of Rice Chex:
 
 
 
To this, add Organic Coconut Oil-  I dolloped about 5 TBSP across the top of the cereal-
 
 
 
Now place the pan into the oven for about 3 minutes to liquefy the coconut oil (yes- I'm in a chilly climate, so the oil needs to heat up).
 
 
Once the three minutes are up, and the coconut oil is melted, take the pan out of the oven.  Using a spatula, mix the cereal and oil until the cereal is evenly coated.  (You may add more oil if you'd like- there may be a little oil on the bottom of the pan, but it shouldn't be pooling on the bottom.)
 
 
 You may even want to sprinkle the cereal with some salt- I used popcorn salt- you may want to use sea salt.... Salt it to taste
 
 
Place the pan back in the oven for about 5 minutes
 
Take it out and again use the spatula to mix the cereal/salt- Then put the pan back in the oven for another 5 minutes- OR- until the cereal is just browning to your liking~ (no, your Lyme eyes are not acting up- it is out of focus, but I couldn't get a pic right on the 5 minute mark that wasn't blurred!)
 
 
 
 
Taste it to see if you need more salt~  if it is to your liking- turn off the oven, and let the cereal cool in the pan.  Once it has cooled- place the snack in an airtight container to retain it's Crunchy-Munchiness!
 
 
 
Now, I'm thinking- this could be all the more decadent if I had a bar of Lily's Dark Chocolate to melt and drizzle over it after it cooled.... Hhhhmmm, maybe for New Year's? 
 
 
James 1:7
 
Blessings! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment