Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cure for Cowardice

Maybe I'm the only one who is a coward.  Sometimes being a coward is shrouded in the cloak of fear.  With Lyme, there is a lot fear.

Much of the fear that comes with Lyme is organic in nature- and as you get treatment, it is lifted!  Oh what relief it is when this happens-- sweet relief! 

Still, fear has many guises, and many levels. 

Today I was reading in 2Timothy 1.   Paul is writing from prison, to his dear son-in-the-Lord, Timothy.  In this first chapter, Paul affirms Timothy's faith, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit- and those gifts which the Holy Spirit has brought into Timothy; a treasure of spiritual gifts.

Timothy need never be ashamed, or a coward- as Paul puts it in verse 12- 'for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.'  (Paul entrusted the Lord with a 'deposit of his faith', as V.McGee would put it.)

Paul goes on in verse 13 to implore Timothy to 'Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.  14- Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us , the treasure which has been entrusted to you.' 

Sound words.  The LORD calls us to reason, to soundness.  Our faith isn't 'blind' in that we have faith in Him who is Trustworthy.  He has proven Himself- and now we 'prove Him' through our faith. 

Back to verse 7 'For God has not given us a spirit of timidity (fear, cowardice), but of
power and
love and
(self) discipline.'

As we go through these unsettled days, future uncertain...there is plenty from which to shrink.  We may begin to feel defeated in our faith.

Our brother Paul encourages us to remember we no longer have to be slave to our emotions, nor motivated by them... they don't have to stop us from moving forward to do the things we should be doing- things the LORD is calling us to (verse 9  '(God) who has called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity...')

He has a holy calling for us- even as we battle Lyme- to glorify Him, to grow in Him, to be His witness to those with whom we come in contact...

You are chosen.

You are equipped.

You have been given:
power
love
discipline

Within you is the Power of God through the presence of the Holy Spirit!
Within you is love- as God is love!
Through the Gift of the Holy Spirit- you can exercise the self-discipline you need in order to deal with your circumstances-- by keeping you mind fixed on the LORD...which gives you soundness of mind.

 I am thankful to be doing a study about dealing with fear in our lives with a group of ladies-- it is good to have other Believers with whom I can share about fears that nip at my emotions.  We are studying the Word, praying together- and sharing testimonies of how the LORD is faithful to walk us through the fears (and underlying foundations of fear).

Since starting on my Lyme Fight- the LORD has been working with me in so many ways!  One thing He has shown me that a lot of my anger is actually rooted in fear.  (not the Lyme rage kinda anger) 

As messy as it is to deal with emotional issues on top of fighting Lyme-  it is a good thing.  Lyme brings things to the surface- we don't have the stamina to keep these things 'in the box' any more... And as much as I don't want even more to 'deal with'-  it has been good to surrender to the LORD in these areas as well-- as He heals these, it can't help but make me stronger to fight the Lyme infections too! 

This 'cure for cowardice' isn't instantaneous.  At least not for me, as I have a lot of work to do.  But, I am glad to have a firm start- in that my eyes are more open to seeing the things I need address, and knowing with the LORD as my focus, not the fear, He will gently lead me through the fear-- unpack my emotional baggage, release me from the stronghold of that fear- and replace it with His strong-hold of me and the gifts of the Holy Spirit- His power, His love-> discipline... as well as other gifts mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23...

Dear Ones "Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you." vs 14

May His power, love and grace- manifest in self-discipline, and His peace, in your life today~

blessings-


No comments:

Post a Comment