Saturday, February 9, 2013

Discrimination

dis·crim·i·na·tion
/disˌkriməˈnāSHən/
Noun
  1. The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
  2. Recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.
 
 
This word came to mind last evening.  We were on our way home from a visitation out of town.  (Just going out of town for a few hours is a big deal, and takes a goodly amount of planning.) 
 
My husband stopped at a fast food place for something to eat.  I stood there staring at the menu board. 
 
"Do you want anything?", my husband asked.  "Yes.- but there is nothing on the menu I can either have, or should have."  He looked disheartened, as he was wanting to get me something to eat...trying to help. (I'd packed food supplies in case.)
 
But, I had to be discriminating. 
 
Discrimination is a word that initially has gotten a lot of negativity, but for me- I find I need to be very discriminating in a lot of areas in my life now....and with good reason- so I can stay alive, and to be able to participate in life to any degree. 
 
There are foods now that have the potential to kill me.(anaphylactic reaction)  Others- can just plain make me miserable, and can exacerbate the Lyme. 
 
 
 
Discrimination is a word that also leads my thoughts to a Scripture- 
Matthe 5  43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’[r] and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies![s] Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends,[t] how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that.
 
In this respect- Even as a Beleiver, even if I seek to do good...rain comes...Lyme comes... but this doesn't mean I'm not loved by God, or that I get a pass to be hateful (even 'justly'), or become bitter. 
 
I must be discriminating about how I choose to respond to my circumstances. 
 
 
 
In the car last night, we had on a Christian radio station-  on came a segment in which several callers had expressed what they were 'believing in'.... I understand their intent- but I was stuck how time after time the people were saying they believe that this or that would happen;  or believing in this or that to happen....all comfortable, great things- safety, health, to do well...sincere, and thankful were these people. 
 
But, particularly as I was on the way to a visitation to honor the life of a dear cousin, who'd fought well against cancer for many years-- I was struck how in this world, this broken world...those sentiments the people expressed in faith, were fragile- given how unpredictable lving in a fallen world is. 
 
What would I have called in to say I beleived in?  As I thought about that- what came to mind was-  I believe:  God is good, full of mercy and lovingkindness...I believe He is my strength, my Resuer, Saviour, Lord...I believ He was, and is, and is to come....
 
Yes- these are things I can fullheartedly say I am believing in, believing for...  this fallen world cannot dash those... 
 
Back to being discriminating--  I was reminded again about being discriminating about where I choose to put my hope...in the things of this world, my pleasures, my hopes, my comforts.... Or, do I choose to put my hope in He Who Is Hope- Jesus.  And just keep a close walk with Him along this life path.
 
He shows no partiality- He does not discriminate in His love for us all..  His desire is for us all to join Him in heaven one day- and in that regard, He will discriminate- to be with Him in heaven, before the Most Holy- a sinner must have been washed by the blood of Jesus; having been saved by His grace when the sinner acknowledges Him as His Saviour. 
 
He has made a way for all- through His Son, Jesus Christ. 
 
May you be found in Him today- and may His strength give you the courage to live well today-
 
blessings- 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment