Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hopefilled vs Hopeless Living


There is such a tension in living life in this broken world, in a sea of hopelessness, and yet while being within the Ark of Hope. 

The sea waves batter us, the winds contrary- (Matt 14:24)  We can become disoriented so quickly; we can be utterly, and shutteringly, overwhelmed by the swells.

The raging sea of living in this world plays havoc with my personal presupposition of ‘if I live according to godly principles- then I’ll have no problems’.  It sound like such a lovely presuppositional principle- and in it, enough truth on which to build a false security. 

But, that sense of security quickly fades to the reality that even when I live a ‘principled life’- things happen to me that are uncomfortable at the least, heart crushing, even fatal in blow to some aspect of my being.

The LORD, in His gentle strength is working on chipping away at those presuppostions I’ve clung to, and He is instead putting the Strong-holds of Truth into my life instead. 

In the past I relied on ‘follow godly principles- and have no problems’- which, in general, is more of an Old Testament theme.  The New Testament theme is one that is bent on eternity- His grace, His glory. 

The old presupposition has brought me a hopelessness- as over and over again I have been disappointed in life not being congruent with my presupposition- such as:

-I am being a good driver- and still I am struck and left injured by another driver who disregards the law;

-I am being very careful to eat right, exercise…and still become injured and deathly ill;

-lovely people who are Godly servants, principled, loving- still become imprisoned, demoted, poor, teased, abandoned, martyred…

So- I searched the LORD on this…in my heart, He showed me that I was placing my hope in my works, my doing...  albeit even ‘Godly works’, still I was looking to these works to keep me ‘safe in this mortal life.

 

My view was way too narrow.

If I want to live a Hope-filled life, then my focus is not to be on performing the principles in hopes of no problems- but, instead:  a Hope-filled life has the goal of Glorifying God, and resting in eternal safety.

1 Timothy 1:5 “But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”

Ah- here is a worthy, truly rewarding goal-  love from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith- to glorify God. 

And with glorifying God, comes the building up (edifying) of our fellow Believers-  See here in Romans 15 (my highlights)-

15 Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. 2 Each of us is to please his neighbor [a]for his good, to his edification. 3 For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me.” 4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 Now may the God [b]who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one accord you may with one [c]voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

7 Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted [d]us to the glory of God. 8 For I say that Christ has become a servant to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers, 9 and for the Gentiles to glorify God for His mercy; as it is written,Therefore I will [e]give praise to You among the Gentiles,
And I will sing to Your name.”

10 Again he says,

Rejoice, O Gentiles, with His people.”

11 And again,

Praise the Lord all you Gentiles,
And let all the peoples praise Him.”

12 Again Isaiah says,

There shall come the root of Jesse,
And He who arises to rule over the Gentiles,
In Him shall the Gentiles hope.”

13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

 

So again, as my boat rocks furiously in the waves of life-  I must set my focus on Him- even this boat…actually the Ark, Christ…He is the One in whom I move about, as one who is In Christ.  This is what I must remember first.

And then- that while in this world- I leave the circumstances to not dictate my view of who God is.  Rather- I look to Him, in His Word and prayer, for instruction- and make for myself life goals such as: love from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith.  These are my sail, my oar, my compass…

May the LORD who Is The One Who Calms The Sea, the One Who Is The Ark- in His strong and gentle way, Teach us how to navigate the sea in which He’s placed us-  unto His glory, and unto the edification of the Believers…

All glory to Him alone who is worthy!

Blessings-

No comments:

Post a Comment