Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Judging

Lyme has been teaching me new lessons, new awareness, about judging.

Judging in and of itself is not 'bad'-  we make critical judgements everyday that keep us safe, and help us in the pursuit of health; which doctor to go to, what we will eat, what activity we may do...  The doctor that finally figured out what was wrong with us made a clinical judgement/diagnosis- for which we are grateful.

As Believers- we are actually supposed to 'judge' each other (other Believers); do 'fruit checks'; hold each other accountable...  We are not to judge unbelievers.  The Ultimate Judge is the Lord. 

The Word of God, the Bible, in its nature acts as a judge- as it states the Truth to us, and through it, the Holy Spirit may bring about conviction of sin (that which we do, knowing it is wrong.... that which we leave undone, knowing we were to do it...).

Of course, one day, there will be Ultimate Judgement by the Lord- at our death, and at His Return.....but these things I am not getting into here... 

People with Lyme deal quite a bit with judgment by others- judged as complainers, weak, lazy, crazy...by doctors, nurses, friends...even family. Even those of us who put up a good fight, and put on a good face- eventually run into being misjudged; which is another tough blow in the Lyme journey with which to deal~

You really have to dig deep.  As a Believer- you hold onto the Truth, that God knows what you are going through; and no matter how wobbly the legs get, keep standing on that, and keep plugging away. 

The sadder thing is, it seems this kind of judging is catching.  As wounded and angry as I can get about others judging me (like when I have to lie down, or sit down at a store- and hope it is a store with a nice sturdy low shelf on which to rest... Or, when I have to say 'no' to attending something for the umpteenth time...Or, when apparently I 'looks so good'- on that one couple hour trip out of the house, the first in days/weeks...)-

The ugliest of the judging is when I embrace it myself.   Here, I know well how wounding and unjust it is, and at such a deep level...and yet- I will catch myself judging another person (they should be more thankful for the energy they have; how can they just spend money like that when IF I have money come in- it goes right out into medical expenses!; Really!- they are throwing a huge hissy because they lost one day of work because of a bad cold- how would they feel to be this sick for years, even decades! ; or, Wow- they are complaining they have to go into work on a Monday morning- when we dream of being able to work, hold a regular job..)

Ugh-  Guess that ol' log is stickin wwaaaaaayyyy, out there from my eye! 

Yes indeed, the Word of Truth shows me that before I let others' judgements against me stir up my own judgements about others- I need to be very careful! 

Oh may His Truth and Grace continually direct my heart and my actions.  Lord, help me to be forgiving, and gracious to those who don't understand, can't understand, won't understand.  Thank You that You do understand- You see... You know how it feels to be misjudged... be my Balm, and help me to more and more reflect Your presence... amen!

Blessings-

Psalm 73

1 Peter 2:18-25
18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are [t]unreasonable. 19 For this finds [u]favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. 20 For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds [v]favor with God.

Christ Is Our Example

21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, 22 who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; 23 [w]and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24 and He Himself [x]bore our sins in His body on the [y]cross, so that we might die to [z]sin and live to righteousness; for by His [aa]wounds you were healed. 25 For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and [ab]Guardian of your souls.

Matthew 7:3-5
Luke 6:41-42
Isaiah 3:13
Romans 14:10,13
1 Corinthians 5:12
and more- you may go to www.Biblegateway.com and search the word judgement to do your own study~

No comments:

Post a Comment