Saturday, November 3, 2012

Elasticity in Captivity

Song of the week-  10,000 reasons by Matt Redman! 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jYLTn4fKYQ

This is one of those songs I keep playing over and over again!  Wish my Lyme-brain could get the lyrics all together in my mind!  

Some of you may be experiencing 'auditory hallucinations'- I do not wish that on anyone! But, if you had to have a song stuck in your mind on repeat- this would be a good one!  :)


I was reading through Psalm 126 today.  And, of course, I had to see what C.H.Spurgeon had in his commentary...  In his intro, he writes, "We see here not only that Zion abides, but that her joy returns after sorrow.  Abiding is not enough, fruitfulness is added.  The pilgrim went from blessing to blessing in their Psalmody as they proceeded on their holy way.  Happy people to whom every ascent was a song, every halt a hymn.  Here the truster becomes a sower; faith works by love, obtains a present bliss, and secures a harvest of delight."

Lord, I want to me one of those 'happy people'- or might I say, joy-filled people, who carries a song with each ascent, and at every halt a hymn. 

Verse 3 of the Psalm states "The LORD has done great things for us; We are glad.

I love the ending, 'We are glad.'....  you could almost say 'period' out loud at the end of it! 

Today I wasn't feeling especially 'happy or glad'... and in this the LORD whispered it is because I have taken my eyes off the 'great things He has done for me'. 

If I look past the struggles and afflictions of the day, using my spiritual eyes to see-  I see He is providing me with shelter, food, clothing....a computer on which to share these things... But even greater- for the Psalmist states 'great things'-  I look beyond the worldly, into the really great things-- His Presence, His grace, His mercy, His lovingkindness, salvation, eternal life, Protection, Shield, Strong Tower, Holy Spirit, His Word, Mansion in Glory, new life,....

These are Great Things! 

So, I am help captive in many ways to Lyme Disease- but even in it, with the LORD, I have an elasticity that transcends the circumstance...allows me to be in places of Song or Hymnody-  He allows me to reach beyond my circumstance, through Him, to joy.  To re-bound out of captivity...

Verses 5-6 "Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting.  He who goes to and fro weeping, carrying his bag of seed, Shall indeed come again with a shout of joy, bringing his sheaves with him."

Oh for the 'joy set before us'! 


LORD, hide the Truth of Your great works- these 'Great Things' You have done- deeply in our heart... and so fill our heart- that our heart can no longer contain it...and so it becomes rain not only to our parched souls- but that it will spill out and bring rain to those parched souls  around us.  You have done Great Things for us- let us be glad!



No comments:

Post a Comment