Friday, August 2, 2013

You Can Do Everything Right, and Still Get Hit by a Truck!

As a Believer, for years I held the notion that if I was obedient to the LORD, lived a 'good life',  stayed out of trouble...trouble would stay away from me.   I even affirmed this notion with Scripture, particularly ones from the Old Testament (often mistaking principles for promises).

Then- I got hit by a truck.

Yes, a literal truck.

I was headed homeward after doing some Christmas shopping, in November no less.  This was such a treat:  I had gotten the majority of shopping done early for once, and a girlfriend of mine had kindly been taking care of my three young children for me so that I could have the luxury of shopping by myself. 

Hidden away in the trunk, lay all the Christmas treasures we would have for our children that year.  With only about 15 minutes left of my journey, I was enjoying the quietness of the car ride, and taking in the scenery. 

Coming to a crossroad, I looked to the left where a nursery greenhouse business was at the corner, the approaching road covered by foliage; I then looked to the right and noticed the house on the corner- which had also been some .....

BLACKNESS

TOTAL and utter blackness is all I can recall next.  I'd never in my life experienced anything like it.  It was confusing.  Seemingly from far away, I heard voices calling.  At first it was hard to tell what they were saying, to whom were they speaking... Slowly, the blackness lightened, and the sounds of voices got louder.

I realized my eyes were closed.  With effort, I opened my eyes to more confusion.  What in the world were people doing looking in at me through my windshield!  What were they saying?  Was I 'alright'?  Was I? 

Trying to remove the cobwebs in my mind, I turned my head to try to look around and come to my senses.  Immediately, I could tell that was not a good idea- pain shot through my neck. 

After a becoming a little more sensible, I realized these people were trying to help me.  Something was terribly wrong.  They wanted me to unlock the car doors. Which I did.

One gentleman came in and asked if there was anyone he could call for me.  (This was way back when having a 'car phone' was still pretty new.)  He called my friend to let her know I'd been in an accident, and an ambulance was on its way; she would call my husband to tell him.)  

Thankfully- even though in a rural area, blessed First Responders arrived quickly; as well as Sheriffs,  more emergency personnel, and the 'jaws of life' with which they cut me out of my vehicle... 

As I'd come to the crossroad, within a fraction of time of my looking to the left, a man driving a pickup truck blasted through the stop sign (witnesses say he was airborne when he struck me) and T-boned my vehicle only inches behind my driver's seat; sending me whirling into the ditch. 

(Once his vehicle stopped, the other driver got out and fled the scene by foot.  It was possible he had been influenced by a substance.  In his vehicle was found a semi-automatic that did not belong to him, nor did the truck belong to him.  And, he was driving with having had his license revoked.  They had helicopters looking for him; finally, they located him about three days after the accident.  He got a few months in jail- and, drum roll:  his driver's license, which he'd already lost, was 'taken away'.)

To shorten the story-  To this day, I deal with the marks left on my person from that trauma.  Neck injury, internal bleeding, concussion, seat belt injuries... Still, I'm thankful that it was not worse, and that my children had not been in the car with me that day!   We lost most of the Christmas presents- although the kind people who stopped to help, had done their best to harvest as many things as possible from the roadway.  (When struck- the contents of my vehicle left it explosively.) 

So, what's this have to do with Lyme-  Well, maybe Lyme is your truck?

Lyme is just one of several 'trucks' in my life.  Over  time, I have done much praying, searching out the Word... trying to reconcile why these trucks come into my life, even when 'I'm doing things right'!

Finally, I've come to understand that the Lord Jesus didn't come to keep me always away from the trucks that come into my life-  but He did come to see me through them, and lead me to an eternal life where there will be no run-ins with trucks! 

Also, I've come more and more to appreciate Him as Redeemer.  Looking back over my own truck events-  each one has taught me a deeper understanding of the LORD, and with that, He has brought some glory to the situation, a redemptive quality. 

Do I want more trucks to come into my life?  NO!  But, now if/when they do, I'm fortunate to have a certain history of walking through those times with the LORD.  It's never easy, but I'm all the more convinced that He will be there for me, to help me, and to redeem the situation. 

Faith calls us to reason, it isn't 'blind' per se.  But, faith is believing in that which is unseen.  Again, it is the Object of our faith that is most important. 

What is the Object of your faith today?  May I encourage you to not be so much concerned with the amount of faith you may have- but concern yourself mostly about in what/whom you are placing your faith. 

My faith is in Jesus Christ.  I have found Him alone to be worthy of that trust. 

If you are up to it, read or listen to the Book of Job.  Watch how redemption comes. 
It may look different for us, but hang in there Dear One- redemption comes! 

Blessings-
Job 19:25
“As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, And at the last He will take His stand on the earth.
Psalm 78:35
And they remembered that God was their rock, And the Most High God their Redeemer.
Proverbs 23:11
For their Redeemer is strong; He will plead their case against you.

John 10:10

10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and [a]have it abundantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du0il6d-DAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC6RXAJpPjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pZNULbJws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZFN8TBfgNU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDGE_lRI0E
Matthew 19:
16 And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19 Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be [j]complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property.

23 And Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 25 When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, “Then who can be saved?” 26 And looking at them Jesus said to them, With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”


No comments:

Post a Comment