Monday, December 31, 2012

Sweeping in the New Year

With Lyme brain, you may have read the title as 'SLEEPING in the New Year'!  :)

I was thinking today of a custom that each of my parents grew up with-  that was at Midnight, to welcome the New Year, one of their parents would open the front door, while the other parent swept through the house with a broom...clear through to the back door, where the other parent now was, ready with it opened....all to sweep out the old year, and sweep in the new~ 

We did not continue the tradition- but I thought it sounded like a fun idea; especially when picturing my grandparents in livelier days doing this sweeping dance of sorts.

If you are a Lyme Fighter- I can imagine it's been quite the year for you.   Perhaps you are looking forward to moving on into the New Year...  Or, perhaps there is still so much uncertainty and challenges ahead that you are not so sure...

Today I was listening to a podcast by Ben Stuart, through Breakaway Ministries.  The podcast I listened to was from late November 2012.  Titled, Keep yourself from Idols.

Seems an unlikely subject to bring up on this blog site- and it may not seem overtly an uplifting message- but I think it is timely and poignant for us.

We have so many things we are dealing with when it comes to Lyme!  We want so much to be well!  Or at least better!  

Our days can revolve around our symptoms and our protocols/treatments...and our bed!

Our identity seems to be only that of "Lyme'.

It may sound odd, but by circumstance- being well, and being someone with Lyme can actually insidiously become idols in our lives. 

In the Bible- Paul warns us to guard against idols...he knew, and warns us, that we must constantly be on the alert for things in our lives that take over that place which belongs wholly to the LORD.  

(1 John 5:18-21)

You'll agree that being so ill with Lyme can allow us to be dulled and lulled in many ways- that includes spiritually.  There are so many ways we can begin to hunger for things in our lives, above our hunger for Him. 

This is an important principle for us- whether in sickness or in health.   Fighting Lyme doesn't make us immune to idolatry. 

Tim Keller gives this definition of idolatry- "Anything in your life that is so central that you can't have a meaningful life if you lose it."  

But, you say- HEY!  I'm sicker than a dog...I'm in bed most of the day....I feel like I'm dying... I have lost many things- including money, friends, even family through this-  and you are cautioning me about idol worship!

Yes.

Friend, it is a warning I've needed, and continue to need in my battle of Lyme. 

In this battle it is all the more difficult to keep the LORD central- and yet, it is the most vital thing I must do for my  (optimal) well-being, and meaning (purpose). 

Keeping Him central- even in the midst of the assaults from Lyme, the debris and battle wounds, the loss, the uncertainty--- I must keep Him central; I must not put my hope, my trust, my identity, my searching in anything but Him-

or life would lose its purpose, its meaning, even the potential to have the sense of well-being, even in on those days spent in and out of consciousness. 

I would encourage you to consider Paul's loving urgency to us this New Year.  Doing so will bring new Breath, new Life to you this New Year.

Blessed New Year!

http://breakawayministries.org/Resources/talks/Keep-Yourself-from-Idols

1 John 5:18-21

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 We know that no one who is [a]born of God sins; but He who was [b]born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. 19 We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. 20 And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.





No comments:

Post a Comment