Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Father

I am blessed with a great dad!  He is 87 yrs old and continues to be a very active, vital person.  There's many days when he has more energy than I do! 

Today he had to be rushed to the hospital though.  A scare.  We will see how things go. 

Part of my writing is to explain why I may not be on as much here for a bit again- and perhaps you will keep us in prayer as we go through this health challenge with him- (and while I try to self-manage my own health things).

I'm so proud of my dad.  He called right away when something was wrong.  I told him to dial 911 and that we would head to his house asap.  I called a bit after we left, and he had followed through- even having unlocked the door for the ambulance crew, and he laid down to be still and wait for them... 

For being a non-health/medical person, over the years, he has chosen to be pro-active about his health, and choices along the way-  this had made it possible so that when a crisis arises, he usually has more options than others in his position. 

He recognizes his changing body/limitations- and instead of digging in and fighting it, or ignoring it-  he studies about it, learns about options, makes choices, makes adjustments/changes, communicates, asks for help when necessary... It isn't easy, but he's done a good job of it. 

There's a lesson for all of us- we too have choices.  Even when it doesn't feel like we have many- we still do have choices.  It may mean we have to make a change, maybe do less, maybe do more...  But being pro-active as possible can be a great advantage. 

Meanwhile, tonight I will head to bed, wishing I could stay at his side, but surrendering his care to the LORD and thinking of these verses.
- Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know I am God." 
-Psalm 127:2 "It is vain for you to rise up early, To retire late, To eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep."
-Ephesians 6:13  13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Blessings-

No comments:

Post a Comment